Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Lookout Pass Backcountry

Headed up to Lookout Pass for a couple of days this weekend. I wanted to get out and check on the state of the snowpack and hopefully ski some powder. Sunday I went up the West side of St. Regis Basin to get a look at a large avalanche that happened late last week.  Conditions were tremendous and I was able to see the crown of the avalanche was all ready partially filled in.

Partially filled avalanche crown

I spent most of the day skiing tight trees. The snow was really good. About 15 inches of low density snow and lots of it. There are so many more people in the backcountry these days which I like. This weekend there was lots of evidence of the popularity of backcountry skiing and snowboarding.


Copper Lakes steeps

It was nice to get out in the sun finally and after a few laps I headed back up to the top of Runt Mountain and a quick ski back down to the parking lot. I slept in my car and it was actually quite cold. All part of the adventure for sure. On Monday I took the lift to the top of Runt Mountain. The plan was to ski to St. Regis Pass then climb the ridge between St. Regis Basin and Willow Creek Basin as far as I felt comfortable. As I climbed south from St. Regis Pass the temperature really started heating up. By the time I got to about the 6000 foot mark I knew I was pushing the safety boundaries. The temperature was well above freezing and the sun was beating down. With all the new snow and being by myself I decided to pull the plug. Skiing back down was awesome. Very deep powder!


Perfectly spaced trees?


The treed ridge on the upper right was my highpoint.
Approx. 6400'

By lunch I was ready for some skiing in bounds. The conditions were great. It was warm, the sun was out in full force, and there were a ton of really happy people having fun up there.  I did head out of bounds below the run B-52 and the area below the Quicksilver cat track. There was run after run of deep powder and you can now head southeast once you hit the snowmobile road. This road is downhill all the way back to the backside lift. This area is steep and definitely susceptible to avalanches. On one run I came across some young snowboarders who were in over their heads. They followed me out and were unaware of the downhill road heading back to the lift and wanted to head uphill towards the parking lot. To each there own I guess. All in all a good few days of skiing.

1 comment:

  1. I just found this blog, and I am STOKED to find so much relevant information about this area! Way to get at it! Please keep posting on all your outings, I will be following along.

    ReplyDelete