Monday, January 23, 2012

Ski Local: Part 2

Well its been an interesting week on the Palouse. We have experienced about every type of snow conditions this week. For me this week has been a chance to ski some areas I've been eyeing since the summer. Most Of the places I have been skiing this week are on private property. As such I have been reluctant to publish information on the interwebs. Instead of tippy-toe around the subject I would prefer just being straight forward. If you attempt to ski on private property always make sure you ASK FIRST in areas that are legally posted. By not doing so you risk the recreational opportunities that may be historically tolerated. Also, you may be confronted by angry landowners wondering what the hell you think your doing.  Always be prepared to explain why you are on someone else's property! That being said most people will let you if you bother to ask.

They call me Stormy Tuesday

This week Tuesday and Wednesday were great. As I was skiing down from Emile Ridge on Wednesday the freezing rain began to fall. By Thursday it was obvious that the rain crust had formed most everywhere around the area. I like skiing in firm conditions so I thought a trip up West Twin would be in order.  I had not been on a ski trip up West Twin in about five years so it was great to see the road block again. The air had heated so that the snow in the trees was constantly falling everywhere. This constant noise let me accidentally sneak to within about 20 feet of a large cow Moose. I was fumbling with the camera as it walked away and was immediately invisible. Next time I guess.



Moscow Mountain Road Block 1/19/12

A group must have been staying up at the Warnick Cabin. They picked a good week. There was a great skin track up Cabin Rd. and a couple cars in the parking lot covered in snow.  The skiing sucked but it was nice to get out. I wonder in anyone knows of a shortcut to the top of West Twin. It just doesn't seem that efficient to follow the road. However the bushwhacking in that area in gnarly. I'm thinking about traversing from Gemini trail west. Any thoughts!

On Friday it was back to Emile Ridge for some lines I have been eyeing for the last decade.



Flax Meadows


Emile Ridge, Idaho 1/21/12

Short, Fun, and steeper than it looks.

Again from the top, this time with feeling!


Overall the skiing right around Moscow is great. Aerobically you can ski for miles and technically you can find steep pitches although they are short. I can not stress enough the importance of accessing these site legally. The last thing we need as a community is to be seen as a bunch of hippy poachers. When in doubt, ask or go elsewhere. There are many public areas that offer fun just not at such a close proximity.  

I want to thank all the folks that have sent positive emails and the like. Coming up in the next couple weeks will be a few guest trip reports and a piece on helping to fight illegal snowmobiling in wilderness areas.

If you get out in the backcountry and observe any avalanche, weather, access, or snow conditions you think may be helpful to the public please send them in. Also, if you have a trip report you would like to submit please send them in. You can email palousebackcounrty@gmail.com.  Thanks for visiting! Have fun and be safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment