Thursday, January 12, 2012

Clearwater Mountains Bluebird

Headed up to Marks Butte near Freezeout Ridge early this morning. The roads were a little icy but I was able to drive a 2wd car to the start of FSR 301 at the St. Marie's River Rd. intersection. The road has melted out substantially and one with a 4wd vehicle with knobby tires or chains can easily make it to within 1.5 and 2 miles of the bathroom. I realized as I was getting ready that I left my avalanche beacon at home. Its still a good practice to wear one when skiing solo I think. You may come across fresh slide debris, team up with people you meet, get caught and buried with others around, and aid in recovery efforts. I knew from the get go it was going to be a mellow day.

Cold and clear

The climb up went fairly quick. A truck that went up on Tuesday broke the trail. The truck was from a group of skiers who got up in the fresh snow and had put in a track. Nice work on getting after it whoever you mystery skiers were! Just past the bathroom I met a group of three skiers from the Moscow/Pullman area who were heading up with a snowmobile. The graciously offered a ride up and I didn't want to pass up the chance of a quick ascent up the last of the flats. Holy crap I was not prepared. Its been years since I've been pulled by a real sled and I was really struggling to hold on and keep the right body position. After about a mile or so I was hosed and proceeded to skin the last two miles.

Upper slopes of Marks Butte


Freezeout Ridge

The sun was out in full force. It was awesome. A few clouds remained down in the valleys but the surrounding peaks were visible in the distance. Since I didn't have a transceiver and another group was in the area I had even more reason not to venture to far into avalanche terrain. I basically just skied back down to the radio towers for a run down the slope to the southwest of the towers.


Friendly backcountry skiers


Good Snow!

The turns down were fun. Any fresh snow this winter is good. It was overall cold and dry and the snow was already turning into surface hoar crystals.  The fresh snow was on a pretty solid crust which seemed be present on most of the upper slopes.  The southeast slopes had many well developed wind slabs that I think will be a big concern when we get more snow.


My up and down tracks

The best skiing was below the radio towers in the moderate tree terrain.  After a quick break for lunch I began the ski out which was short but fun. Lots of turns in the powder on the road. It was a fun day in the sun and snow, a little humbling in the being pulled by a snowmobile department, and a relatively safe day out. 

If you get out in the backcountry and observe any avalanche, weather, access, or snow conditions you think may be helpful to the public please send them in. Also, if you have a trip report you would like to submit please send them in. You can email palousebackcounrty@gmail.com.  Thanks for visiting! Have fun and be safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment