Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Lookout Pass Backcountry

In and out of the clouds.
Went up to Lookout Pass yesterday. Hardly anyone up there and really good conditions in bounds. After a few warm up runs I headed south from the ski area boundaries on Runt Mt. towards St. Regis Pass. The skiing was really good and I was stoked.

Self portrait w/ camera timer.
After reaching St. Regis Pass I headed east into Montana and St. Regis basin.  After reaching the valley floor I started heading up into the basin. I was shocked to find almost every square inch of powder tracked up by snowmobiles. I decided to play it safe and just tour up to the lakes.



The snow is facets to the ground in some spots. There is a crust in some places but not others. I would not be surprised if there are huge avalanches up there this year. My camera's batteries crapped out just below the lake so no pictures but the cloud layer started at about 5500 feet so there wasn't much to see. The ski back down was quick and fun. It took about 30 minutes to ski down what took about two hours to climb up. I Love skiing.

Trying to give slide paths a wide berth!
 After a late lunch back at the pick-up I took a few more runs in bounds. The alpenglow was spectacular and I skied till the last lift. All in all a great day of Slackcountry fun!

 P.S.  Thanks to the University of Idaho Ski Team for showing the ski movie Solitaire and Follett's Mountain Sports for donating the free tune up I won during the raffle. I never win anything. (Unless it's the surliest Montana state employee of the year award) They did a great job and my skis were flying like magic carpets.

No comments:

Post a Comment