Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Has Anyone Ever Skied He Devil in the Seven Devils Range to the Salmon River?

Here at Palouse Backcountry we are all about dreaming big. I often wonder about unskied lines in Idaho and to me the most obvious is a ski descent from the summit of He Devil or She Devil to the Salmon River. This would be a ski line of about 8,000 feet or so and would take an exceptional snow year and a ton of logistics. From what I know of the routes it would probably take at least one or two rappels as well. I know people often ski Windy Saddle and occasionally venture deeper into the range in Spring but I have never heard of anyone skiing off any of the summits. There is just so little information about skiing in Idaho's Seven Devils Range.



It would probably take more snow than this! Photo:Hughes Real Estate Group


East Ridge of He Devil in August. Photo: Klenke/SummitPost


If anyone has any information about anyone who has skied the high peaks of the Seven Devils, I think that that information would be highly valuable to people who enjoy ski mountaineering history in Idaho. It seems this project would take a professional crew the likes of Chris Davenport but how cool would it be if it were a University of Idaho student or a river guide from Riggins. Dream Big!

2 comments:

  1. Funny you should mention this as I was just looking at the same thing. With the road closed to snowmobiles, and the river at such a low elevation, yes, it would appear that logistics would be a key ingredient. I'll check back here to see how you work it out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just want to see it skied! Maybe you'll be the first!

    ReplyDelete